Sunday, March 24, 2013

Corbin the Scientist

The other day I had laid Emma down for her nap and Corbin looked at me and said, "Well Mom, what are we going to do now?" We go through this every time I'm able to get Emma to lay down for a nap.  Corbin insists on being entertained by Mommy.  Most of the time I can pull out some work books or some school work and he'll sit and do that for awhile but today that was just not going to cut it for him.  I had read on a friend's blog earlier that she had done and experiment where you put an egg in vinegar and over a few days the shell would dissolve so I told Corbin that we could try it out but I told him that it would take a few days to see the results so he immediately started asking for other experiments to do.  I pulled out my baking soda and vinegar and let him play a little bit with that which he thought that it was awesome.  He used up almost the entire bottle of vinegar before I realized what was going on so I quickly looked up on Pinterest another experiment and found this magic mud.  It's made of cornstarch and water.  It was really kind of cool.  When you gently put your fingers in it it was slimy and runny but if you put force on it it was a solid.  Very weird stuff but it kept him entertained for quite a while.  

After letting the egg sit for a few days I finally pulled it out of the vinegar and let Corbin feel it.  If you held it up to the light you could see the yolk of the egg and it was super soft.  Unfortunately the touching and investigating didn't last long because I accidentally dropped it and it broke but it was cool while we had it.








No comments: