Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines Day!

To be honest I have never been the biggest fan of Valentines Day.  I mean I don't hate it but it definitely hasn't been my all time favorite.  Last year I decided to change my tune about it and try and have it focus not just on the love I have for my husband but for my family so I started the mailboxes.  This year after Christmas, Corbin kept asking when the mailboxes would make their appearance and he was so excited for them.  I didn't think that they had made that big of a difference but apparently I was wrong.  The mailboxes were out yesterday morning and Corbin was ecstatic. It was the longest hour and half of his life waiting for Emma to wake up and go look in their mailboxes.  The first 2 deliveries were some gold fish and pez dispensers in their favorite characters, Batman and Cinderella.  After we were all cleaned up and ready for the day we went to Provo to surprise Dad and take him to lunch.  I was so proud of myself because I couldn't remember exactly where his work was (I've really only been there once) but I remember some of the restaurants around him so I was able to look them up and find his work.  He usually takes his lunch pretty close to noon so when I got there I was 5 minutes early.  I tried calling him and he didn't answer so I went into slight panic mode.  When I pulled up to his parking lot he was outside.  I pulled in and he looked over and saw us.  He came up to the car and we all shouted, "Surprise!"  I explained that we were there to take him to lunch and he started laughing, he had just eaten his lunch!  Apparently he was starving!  So he still came to lunch with us but didn't really eat.  Come to find out I spoiled his plan of running and getting flowers so he didn't have to do it on his way home but oh well.  While at lunch Corbin gave his Dad a card he had made and some gum.  Once we got home we had another delivery of books and then Emma went down for a nap.  After naps the kids found nerf guns and a Snow White doll in their boxes.  We then went to Activity Days.  When we got home we were surprised by Daddy being home and had already started cooking dinner and had brought flowers home!  Sure do love that man!  The kids had heart attacked the sliding glass door for their Dad and wrote things they loved most about him.  For dinner we had our usual, chicken parmesan, in honor of the first meal that Kyle ever made for me, but with it this year I made a fun Valentines drink.  The kids loved it!  During dinner Corbin kept mentioning watching Afro Circus (Madagascar 3).  Kyle and I just kept saying we didn't have that movie and that we weren't going to be watching any movies.  After cleaning up dinner Corbin went up to the ottoman and asked if we were going to do our delivery yet.  I looked at him and asked him why he would think there were things in there.  Come to find out that while I was in my room during Emma's nap he had snuck out and found them.  I was so impressed with how he didn't say anything or even acted like he knew where things were that I couldn't be mad at him.  We all just laughed about it and we made the final delivery, which were movies and popcorn for the kids.  I'm so glad that I have started this tradition with my kids and I'm really excited to get them involved more in the upcoming years by helping make Valentine's for each other.    After the kids were in bed Kyle and I had a wonderful evening watching some Office and just being together and reminiscing about the night we got engaged (7 years ago last night).














1 comment:

Emily said...

I think that Valentine's Mailbox is an awesome idea! I forgot to copy it, I just remembered wanting to after your last years post ;) I need to do it next year, our kids are at a great age for fun traditions. Also - I loved your basement post, oh how I wish we had a basement. Although, we do have a big garage and since it's warmer here in St. George, I can send them out there when it's cold outside. And way to go Corbin on the bike!